8.04.2012

Triathlon!!!

The Young Women in our ward that are ages 14-18 decided that they were going to do a "mini sprint triathlon" this April that is put on by the Boy Scouts of America a couple hours north/east of us. As one of the YW leaders in the ward, I got the chance to do this with them. When I first found out about it - back in January - I wasn't sure about doing it. I've never run before. Ever. Besides on a treadmill but that doesn't count - not the same as running outside on the road. At all. Also I am not a strong swimmer and I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years! But even with all that - I was somehow talked into doing it with them. 

Well in order to do accomplish something like this it obviously took a lot of training. Especially in the running department. So I started getting up early in the mornings {5 am!} with my friend, Karolee {who is also in YW with me} and running out and around our neighborhood to get ready for it. I have now become a lover of running outside! If the excercise part wasn't reason enough, this is also a good reason:

A GORGEOUS ARIZONA SUNRISE!!!
Seriously so beautiful to see in the mornings running down the road! Made it so worth getting out of bed at 5 am! (Had to go that early because my daycare kids come at 6am and I have to be home by then!)

And the day of the Triathlon - April 21st - finally arrived! We went up Friday night and stayed at someone's house (a friend of someone in our ward here.) Then Saturday morning we woke up and got ready and met up at the church/temple parking lot for some breakfast and to make sure we were all ready to go! Here is the beautiful temple!

Then it was over to the school where the race begins! Here is everyone getting their bikes and things gathered up and ready to go!


I didn't get any pictures of the race (since I was racing - can't really carry a camera around!) It started with a 75 meter swim, followed by a 6 mile bike ride (so much of it uphill!!!), and ending with a 2 mile run!
It was SO much fun! All the YW enjoyed it. Hard, but fun! They all want to do it again next year - so I'm hoping with this experience that we'll all be in even more shape and even more ready for it next year so we can do even better!!!

Great job Sierra Ranch Ward Young Women!!!

No comments: