1.12.2009

Chicken-Say-What??!!

On Friday (January 9th) when I was changing Connor I noticed a couple of these:


They were on his back and there were a couple on his neck and the top of his head. They were not there the night before and it was a little worrisome to me (I'd never seen anything like it), so I called his pediatrician. They had me bring him in because with a rash they cannot diagnose it without seeing it first. He had just been there that Monday for his 6 month check-up and we didn't know if it was some kind-of reaction to the shots or what?! My mom said it sounded to her like the chicken-pox! Well, come to find out, that is exactly what it was! I was speechless because I do not know a single person that we have been around that has them. The doctors also were baffled. They never see chicken-pox anymore (or at least very rarely) with the shot out nowdays. My pediatrician even brought in one of the other doctors to verify that it was because he has only seen it a couple of times! Crazy, huh?! So.....my 6 month old baby has the chicken pox!!! With NO CLUE where he got it from! Well, of course over the next couple days he has definately broken out with more "pox". Here is his back now:


And his sweet face (makes me so sad!):


He has been absolutely wonderful with it! He has been his normal, happy self just with spots (and a slight fever kept away with Tylonol)! He still loves to lay there and play with his toys (usually on his tummy since he has more of them on his back) and he enjoys being naked, well "diaper only", because then his clothes don't rub against them either - thank goodness for nice Arizona winter weather or that would not be possible!


And he still smiles and laughs at us all day long! I was so worried that he would be so fussy and it would be so hard to take care of him, but he has been just amazing! And since he doesn't know how to scratch himself, that isn't even an issue! :) I am very thankful for such a mild-mannered baby. Especially in a situation like this!



6 comments:

The Whatcott Fam said...

Oh my gosh, that is so sad! I still can't believe he got them...so random and strange! I'm glad that he's being his happy normal self, though!

Elizabeth Reid said...

Poor little guy. But he'll have some fun pictures of himself to look back on!

Lisa said...

I can't believe that!! That is nuts! It makes me feel so bad for him seeing him like that. Hopefully he will get better soon!!

Levi and Amanda said...

Poor little baby! I hope he feels better soon!

McDougal Family said...

He's doing much better now! They are finally all scabbed over (aka not contagious anymore) and are starting to clear up! Thank goodness!

DadOfEight said...

It's these kinds of experiences that make one TOUGH!!