9.05.2009

Feeling Crafty (Part I)

Every fall I always seem to get into this "craft" mood. There is something about the fact that I want it to be fall (cooler weather!) and that there are so many cute fall decorations out there. Well this year I have found a new love in my life......MOD PODGE!!!! Now, I know that people have been using this stuff for years and years, but I recently used it for the first time and...WOW! So now this new found love is making me want to be "crafty" even more (if that is possible). So here are a couple of items that I have made in the last couple weeks. {I was telling my sister-in-law about them and she wanted me to post them so she could see them. So this is for you Ashley!}

The first are some "Fall" blocks I made:



And then there is this picture frame I made for my counter (not fall related, I just wanted to make it):



So there you go! I have a couple more items up my sleeve that I hope to make in the next couple weeks so stay tuned for more. :)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Very cute! I have some ModPodge that I bought a while back and have never used... I just couldn't get any ideas, but now I have some thanks to you!
Did you just put paper on wood and paint over it?

Levi and Amanda said...

How cute! You'll have to tell me how you did it (rather than my trying through trial and error.

Queen Creek East Stake Primary said...

So cute!! Maybe this will give me some inspiration to do my own!

Ashley and Jared said...

you did such a great job Emily... I love them I really want to make a cute picture frame like that one! let me know where you got your stuff at!! we love you guys!

McDougal Family said...

Ok - so I will attempt to tell you how I made these. They were pretty simple (or else I would not have been able to make them!) I got all the supplies from Michaels.

Fall Blocks:
I bought the small blocks at Michaels (for about a dollar). I painted them brown and then sanded the egdes. Then I took 3 coordinating scrapbook papers (I did fall ones) and cut them to fit the squares of the blocks. (2 of the same paper on each block.) Then I used my Mod Podge to glue them on (paint it a little bit under the paper to help hold it in place, then paint it on top of the paper.) Let it dry. Then I printed out the FALL letters on my computer (picked a font and size I wanted), cut them out then traced and cut them out of scrapbook paper and modpodged that on the blocks. Let that dry. Then I took some cute fall ribbon I found and tied little bows around the blocks. (They were cute without the bows too, it was just an extra addition I decided to do.)

Picture Frame:
This was a plain wood frame I bought from Michaels for about 4 dollars. (They have all different sizes.) I bought a bunch of different black and white scrapbook papers that I liked from there as well. I did not paint the frame first, but you could if you wanted to. (The back of mine is still just wood, but if you were putting it somewhere where the back would be seen, you probably would want to either paint it or put paper on the back as well as the front.) I cut the papers into a bunch of squares (not too small or it would take a long time, but not too big either) then I just modpodged it onto the frame. (I overlapped and underlapped papers, etc. to give it more of a pieced look.)Make sure you go over the edges of the frame on the outside as well as the inside (that was the trickiest part!) After it dried I sprayed it with an acrylic spray (you don't have to do this, but I heard it was a good thing to do with decoupaged items?) After that was dry, I tied a ribbon around the frame and added a flower/bow. (used a little hot glue to hold the ribbon and bow in place, but not necessarily needed.) I also bought a small wooden letter "m" (for McDougal) and painted it red to put on it - probably in the top left corner - but I haven't decided if I like it with or without better so its not on it.

And that is that! I know that took a lot of explaining, but it really was quite simple! Hope that helps! :)

Shelly said...

You're so awesome to take the time to explain that.

Good job, both so cute.